Are you frustrated trying to learn about personal finance? Do you feel like no matter how hard you try you just cannot seem to understand it or make any progress? Not to worry, you can overcome any roadblocks you are facing and continue your personal finance education.
When you are trying to lose weight loss you can also hit these road blocks. With weight loss it requires you to make small changes, such as adding intervals to your cardio, cutting an extra 100 calories from your diet or changing the intensity of weights you are lifting.
Personal finance education it is the same as weight loss. Sometimes we need to make small changes in how we are learning the materials in order to better understand the topic we are learning about. For example you might switch from reading to watching videos, taking classes or even getting private financial coaching.
Detailed Examples: How to Alter Your Financial Education
- Try a different teacher. Often when I am reading a book on health and fitness I only get about 20% of what I am reading, science is not my strong point. However what I have found is that as I keep reading more and more books by different authors I eventually find one author that explains what I am reading in a way that works for me. So if you are struggling with a specific book, pick a different book on the same topic by a different author. Struggling with a class? Find a new teacher. Eventually you will find an instructor that helps you understand personal finance.
- Try a different way of learning. We all learn in different ways, in fact there are three well studied ways that most of us learn: auditory, visual and physical. So if you learn by listening and are trying to read books you may be struggling not because you don’t understand the topic but because you are not learning about it in the right way for you. If you do learn by listening try instead taking a class, buying the audio book or even reading out loud. Fit your education to your style.
- Use Multiple Ways to Learn - It has been shown that the more styles of learning you apply the faster you will learn the subject. So if you are trying to learn how to budget, read about it, watch some videos about it and actively work on your budget all at the same time. This will speed up your learning process.
How to Stay the Focused:
Ultimately you need to give it time. Learning any new subject takes time. You don’t learn a new language in a day and learning about personal finance is no different. Over time each lesson will build upon the last and your understanding will grow. So how do you keep going when you are frustrated?
- Believe in yourself – you need to believe that you can learn about personal finance and eventually it will happen. If you don’t believe that you can understand your finances then you won’t! All of us can do this, and that includes you.
- Adjust how much time you spend on learning. If you are feeling overwhelmed and ready to stop, adjust how much time you are spending on learning. Drop to five or ten minutes a day if you need to, but just keep moving forward. Every little bit will help you; whereas quitting will definitely keep you where you are. Small steps work.
- Remember why you want to learn about money. Write yourself a statement about what your goal is and post it somewhere to remind you why you are working so hard. When you are ready to quit, stop and look at this statement to keep you motivated.
We all hit road blocks at some point, when you do make some small changes and keep moving forward. You will be glad you did.