So what do you do to give yourself a jump start and get moving? I have a variety of things that work for me when I need to get motivated:
- Workout – I realize you might actually need motivation to work out, but it can also be a great way for you to get motivated for other things. Now since this one sometimes requires its own motivation I will allow myself a slow walk with a strong coffee to get me going, it always helps and gets me into the workout.
- Build a list of things that make you happy- take the time to write a list of things that make you happy when you do them. Anytime you are happy and upbeat it is much easier to be motivated. For me this is list includes coffee and a magazine at a local coffee shop or relaxing in the hot tub. Make sure you write this list down and have it ready so that when you are having a bad day you can quickly grab the list and pick one out!
- Watch a motivational video or read something inspirational – I personally use the 212 movie; it is a great motivator (and short) or even read a list of quotes.
- Change things up – sometimes we just need a change to our routine to kick our motivation in gear. An example might be starting the day with something different such as instead of starting with returning phone calls, start with some easy filing or desk clean up. Many times it just takes a small change to get your motivation back.
- Give yourself 10 minutes – tell yourself that you are going to work on your activity for 10 minutes and then if your mood does not change you can do something else. It is amazing how 10 minutes can turn into an hour. You just need the small push to get your motivation going.
Now you should have some ideas on how to increase your motivation so you can achieve your goals!
Your Turn – How do you solve get going on days you don’t want to?