Today I am actually going to review a magazine and not a book. Why? Because as much as I love to read books I also love to read magazines, and in reality probably do more magazines than books. I enjoy magazines because they are timely, easily transportable and you can quickly process a few pages and gain some insight.
As a mother I find myself waiting at school, baseball practice, swimming practice – pretty much everywhere. I can easily pack a magazine in my purse without it being heavy and get an article or two in while waiting. They are also small enough that I can get through one before the next arrives, and by reading more than one I can stay up to date on many topics.
Today I want to take a look at the Bloomberg Markets magazine.
Why I like it:
- In-depth articles. For example the May 2011 issue has an 11 page article on the SEC. While this takes a bit longer to get through it covers the issues in greater detail. I like this because I want to know as more sides and details as possible.
- Combines education, strategy, politics and a market overview. All of these areas help to make you a better investor and consumer of financial items. Investing is both macro and micro oriented; this ensures you are getting both pieces in one place.
- Good quality writing. The articles are really well written, through and thought provoking.
- Not many advertisements, you actually get articles to read not ads to read!
What I don’t like:
- Length of articles – this is one of those love hate things. I love the depth of the subjects covered however this magazine is the hardest one for me to get through before the next arrives. I will say this mainly happens with me because I ponder and re-read sections because they are so well written – I fall into the story.
- How to use Bloomberg – I guess this is not really a dislike but more of a not useful to me. In the magazine at the end they have some lessons on how to track things in their software program. This is good if you are using their programs.
Who this is a magazine good for:
- Investors who work without a planner. This magazine does a great job of keeping you up to date on the entire market overview. Very beneficial if you are trying to do it on your own and need a quick overview without too much time commitment.
- Investor who wants to expand their world view in relation to investing. This is a great way to see issues and stories from an investing stand point.
- You like to know everything about one area – you will love the in-depth articles.